Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Asserted; Manny Unimpressed and Unimpressive

Happy Fourth of July! Some clubs celebrated early by unleashing terrifying amounts of explosives into the air above their ballparks last night.

Chez les Rockies

Le ball field de Kansas City

Because I like loud noises, violence and Jell-O shaped flag cakes, the Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. I guess I like independence and freedom too, although come on, I've read enough Debord and Marcuse to know that FRIENDS, WE ARE NOT FREE. If anything, Major League Baseball feeds the spectacle of wealth, fantasy and endless entertainment that has placated our society with the illusion of unlimited choices and unrestricted happiness. But above loud noises, violence, and even Jell-O, I love baseball so I'm willing to not think about it for the time being. Whew. Play ball!

Last night, Manny Ramirez stepped to the plate for the first time since May. The crowd at San Diego's Petco Park was on their feet and, to quote Vin Scully, "cheering like it [was] the last out of the last game of the World Series." Which is not to say that the reception was entirely positive. Like Alex Rodruiguez before him, Manny was greeted by a fair amount of boos and signs reading "MANROID." Unlike A-Roid, Manny did not immediately smash a home run off the first pitch he saw. Here's a screenshot of him looking thoroughly unpsyched about his first at bat.


Despite Joe Torre's claim that, "It just feels like the atmosphere had little bubbles in it today," Manny seemed pretty glum throughout. First day jitters? He walked once before going 0/3 for the night.

"I still gotta wear this?"

"That thing is attacking me. This game is hard."

Good luck, Manny! I know you can do it!

Since we started with fire, we'll end with heat: Matt Kemp looking dreamy as always.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment