Thursday, February 19, 2009

Retreat to the Image World

I spent about two years struggling through Guy Debord's "Society of the Spectacle" (you can watch the less time-consuming, more boob-filled film here), which is, in part, a compelling diatribe against the over-pervasiveness of images in modern society. Alternately stated, it's about reification and its detriments. Alternately stated, it's about how we've all f'ed ourselves by wasting our lives looking at pictures when, really, we should have been Living In the World. While, generally, I'm on board with Debord, certain parts of the image-world are such vast improvements over the world-world that I can't help but prefer them to "reality."

Another thing that I've been doing for about two years is visiting Kei and Mordecai in Chicago. Last year, they got MLB Power Pros, which is a super fun game for Nintendo Wii. In it, you can assume the character of ANY baseball player in the Major Leagues. In addition to playing games and participating in the Home Run Derby, you can also practice hobbies and go on dates.


Last year, I played as Robbie Cano. My hobbies were watching horror movies and eating spaghetti. I didn't get any dates, but I did make friends with Damaso Marte. Now, as we all know, Robbie Cano is a heartthrob on and off the field, in drag and on the bench, i.e. always, so it's no surprise that image-world Cano is also extremely cute. Look, though, at what Nintendo has done to the UGLIEST TEAM IN BASEBALL!




So cute! Dustin Pedroia has been transformed from a snouty moleman to a sad-eyed puppy! I wish I could show you a picture of image-world Kevin Youkilis to drive home the point, but you'll just have to trust me on this one...he's adorable!

There are a few baffling Power Pros bobble heads. Hideki Matsui, for example, has distinct acne scars...true to life, perhaps, but strange treatment for a home-country favorite. And Derek Jeter, well...



...I don't see the resemblance. Anyway, I'm currently in Chicago with MordeKei, where we're eating candy for breakfast and playing Animal Crossing. This afternoon, we're going to buy giant boxes of baseball cards (the image-link-bridge between the world-world and the hyper-fantastical-Nintendo-image-world), the highlights of which I'll share with you, here. Also, be sure to tune in tomorrow when Sam and I rank the American League Central division.

Right, Sam?!

1 comment:

  1. lo siento for my tardiness. I´ve been out of touch and no doubt owe the world some rankings. I respectively take the Indians in position number one, but putting Alexi Ramerez on your shit list, you gotta be kidding me!

    look at that smile!
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/09302008/photos/sports069a.jpg

    ReplyDelete